Does my project need a permit?

Permit requirements depend on the scope and size of your project and zoning location. Please visit the Community Development Department for information regarding permissible uses for all zoning districts, setbacks, land use, and building permit requirements and applications.

A few things to remember:

  • Whether you are a homeowner, small business owner or contractor, the process to obtain a permit will depend on the scope of your project.
  • Find out what type of permit/approval you need or whether you even need a permit/approval for your project.
  • Visit the Building Permit Applications and Handouts page for useful information that can help clarify building regulations, assist you with design specifications, and provide helpful building tips.
  • Here is a list of items that do NOT require a permit:
      1. One-story detached accessory structures used as tool and storage sheds, playhouses and similar uses, provided the floor area does not exceed 200-square feet or is two-stories. Zoning set-back requirements must also be met.
      2. Fence replacement due to damage or age, repaired and replaced in the same location. (Sultan does requires a permit for new fences).
      3. Retaining walls that are not over 4’ in height measured from the bottom of the footing to the top of the wall, unless supporting a surcharge or impounding Class I, II, or IIIA liquids.
      4. Water tanks supported directly on grade if the capacity does not exceed 5,000 gallons and the ratio height to diameter or width does not exceed 2:1.
      5. Sidewalks and driveways not more than 30” above adjacent grade, and not over any basement or story below and are not part of an accessible route.
      6. Painting, papering, tiling, carpeting, cabinets, countertops and similar finish work.
      7. Temporary motion picture, television and theater stage sets and scenery.
      8. Prefabricated swimming pools accessory to a Group R-3 that are less than 24” deep, does not exceed 5,000 gallons and are installed entirely above ground.
      9. Shade cloth structures constructed for nursery or agricultural purposes, not including service systems.
      10. Swings and other playground equipment accessory to detached one and two-family dwellings.
      11. Window awnings supported by an exterior wall that do not project more than 54” from the exterior wall and do not require additional support of Group R-3 and U occupancies.
      12. Non-fixed and movable fixtures, cases, rack, counters, and partitions not over 5’ 9” in height.
      13. Residential siding repair. 
    • Mechanical

      1. Portable heating appliance.
      2. Portable ventilation equipment.
      3. Portable cooling equipment.
      4. Steam, hot or chilled water piping within any heating or cooling equipment regulated by this code.
      5. Portable evaporative cooler.
      6. Self- contained refrigeration system containing 10-pounds of refrigerant or less and actuated by motors of 1-horsepower or less.
    • Plumbing
      1. The stopping of leaks in drains, water, soil, waste or vent pipe, provided, however, that if any concealed trap, drainpipe, water, soil, waste or vent pipe becomes defective and it becomes necessary to remove replace the same with new material, such work shall be considered as new work, and a permit shall be obtained and an inspection made a provided in the Uniform Plumbing Code.
      2. The clearing of stoppages or the repairing of leaks in pipes, valves or fixtures and the removal and reinstallation of water closets, provided such repairs do not require the replacement or rearrangement of valves, pipes or fixtures.

Show All Answers

1. What zone is my property located in?
2. Does my project need a permit?
3. Permitting your Manufactured or Mobile Home
4. Why do I need a permit?
5. Where can I get a permit?