The City of Sultan is a full-service City with a population of roughly 6,260. We have an elected Mayor and seven council members. In addition, there are four department heads, as well as a contracted City Attorney managed by a City Administrator.
Therefore, the City of Sultan, Washington, solicits interest for consulting services relating to the update of the City’s Comprehensive Plan. Under the growth management act the city is required to update its Comprehensive Plan no later than 2024. The last full update of the Sultan Comprehensive Plan was completed in 2011, though smaller updates have occurred in the intervening years. The consultant will have expertise in the comprehensive plan update process including performing public outreach, developing land use policy, and completing all of the required steps for adopting the new plan. The specifics of the requests are outlined below.
Questions regarding this Request for Proposals should be directed to Andy Galuska, Community Development Director, at 360-793-1311 or via email at email@example.com.
The City of Sultan reserves the sole right to terminate this process, to not award a contract, and to cancel or modify this solicitation process at any time. In no event will the City or any of its respective agents, representatives, consultants, directors, officers, or employees be liable for, or otherwise obligated to reimburse the costs incurred in preparation of this RFQ, or any related costs. The prospective consultant teams shall wholly absorb all costs incurred in the preparation and presentation of the submittals. The RFQ submittals will become the property of the City of Sultan.
Interested firms shall submit a Statement of Qualifications that contains the following:
- Cover letter.
- Qualifications: Outline the qualifications of the firm to perform this work including:
- Experience in developing and adopting land use policies including comprehensive plan updates.
- Experience with public outreach including holding open houses, producing surveys, and collecting results, and producing informational materials for websites, social media, and newsletters.
- Knowledge of the requirements of the Growth Management Act, State Environmental Policy Act, and familiarity with the regional and countywide planning goals and policies.
- Working closely with staff, city consultants, elected officials, and the public in the process of developing and adopting the updated policies.
- References. Please provide a list of relevant experience and reference contacts including:
- Past performance and examples used to ensure timely responses to City requests.
- List of three to five references of current clients.
- List of recent projects with different municipalities.
The City of Sultan will evaluate and select the consultant based on the submitted Statement of Qualifications. The City reserves the right to utilize any additional evaluation criteria it so chooses to make a final decision on the selection of the consultant. The city may conduct interviews of the top-ranking firms in order to make a final decision.
The city will select the firm based on the following criteria:
- Experience and results with other municipalities in your firms work product.
- Experience in working with staff at different municipalities.
- Experience with Comprehensive Plan updates, public outreach, and related municipal policy development.
RFQ SUBMITTAL DEADLINE AND DELIVERY LOCATION
All responses are encouraged to be sent by email. (Responses by FAX will not be accepted).
You may mail a response. If you wish to mail it, sealed responses will be received by Community Development Director Andy Galuska, City of Sultan, Washington, up to the hour of4:00 p.m., Friday, August 31, 2022. Responses delivered later will not be accepted. The City of Sultan is not responsible for delays in delivery. All responses to this request that are mailed through the United States Postal Service (USPS) shall be addressed to:
Sultan City Hall
P.O. Box 1199
319 Main Street
Sultan, WA 98294
Hand-delivered responses, or responses not sent through the USPS, shall be delivered to the same address identified above. All responses shall be clearly marked “Sultan Comprehensive Plan Update RFQ.”
The city requires assistance in completing the comprehensive plan update including developing draft policies, public outreach, SEPA review, and processing of the final draft to adoption. Any respondent should indicate their experience both with the development of land use policy as well as the processes required to legally adopt the update.
In preparation for the update the city has completed some recent policy work which would inform the update including:
- Update to the transportation element in 2020. The consultant will NOT be required to update the transportation element but will need to work with another consultant who will be completing a concurrent update to this section.
- A parks, recreation, and open space plan was adopted in 2021.
- A downtown visioning plan was competed in 2021.
- The Storefront Studio program completed an analysis of the downtown in 2022.
- A Housing Action Plan is currently being developed and should be adopted no later than early 2023.
- Growth targets and a buildable lands analysis has already been completed through the Snohomish County Tomorrow Partnership. The city has additional capacity with current zoning to comply with the population and employment growth targets.
Sultan’s Comprehensive Plan has the following elements that need to be updated:
- Community Design
- Land Use
- Natural Environment
- Economic Development
- Parks and Recreation
- Transportation (To Be Updated Under a Separate Contract)
- Capital Facilities
- July 22, 2022: Publish and Post Request for Proposal
- August 31, 2022: Proposals Due
- September 7, 2022: Shortlist for Interviews
- September 12-15, 2022: Interviews
- September 20, 2022: Select Finalists
Work on the project may begin as soon as the contract is signed with the City. The updates to the Comprehensive Plan must be completed by December 31, 2024, although the City would like to complete the project earlier if possible.
The City of Sultan in accordance with Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, 78 Stat. 252, 42U.S.C. 2000d to 2000d-4 and Title 49, Code of Federal Regulations, Department of Transportation, Subtitle A, Office of the Secretary, Part 21, nondiscrimination in federally assisted programs of the Department of Transportation issued pursuant to such Act, hereby notifies all firms that it will affirmatively ensure that pursuant to this advertisement, disadvantaged business enterprises as defined in 49 CFR Part 26 will be afforded full opportunity to submit responses to this invitation and will not be discriminated against on the grounds of race, color, national origin or sex in consideration for an award.